9 High Accuracy RTD Wireless Temperature Sensor
Leap Sensors are specially designed to be customized. If this isn’t exactly what you need, please contact us.
This highly versatile industrial sensor supports 9 miniature, low-mass precision RTD temperature sensors connected to one small, thin high-temperature transmitter.
9-RTD Wireless Temperature Sensor Specifications
- RTD Specification – High Accuracy, Low Mass, Fast Response
- For high accuracy, fast-response temperature measurements requiring a low-mass sensor, the Omega Class A F Series sensor is used.
- Thin film DIN Class A. Class B also available at a lower cost and lower accuracy.
- Size: 2.3 x 2.1 x 0.9 (thick) mm.
- They can be used at temperatures between -50 and 500°C (-58 to 932°F) however, Class A accuracy is assured between -30 to 300°C (-22 to 572°F).
- 3-Wire RTD for High Accuracy: the sensor utilizes a 3-wire configuration to the RTD sensors. The electronics measure and compensate for changes in wire resistance over temperature changes.
- Long Cable Lengths to Sensors: The 3-wire RTD temperature sensor design facilitates long cable lengths to the sensors (if needed), while maintaining good temperature accuracy.
- Excellent Temperature Accuracy – Class A sensors:
- Contact us for application-specific estimates on accuracy.
- Typical: +/- 0.4C from 25C to 120C.
- High Accuracy version: +/- 0.1C, or better (over specified temperature span) is available. Contact us for details.
- Sensors connect to main circuit board with wire that is soldered to the sensor and to the three thru-holes on the circuit board.
- Other RTDs can be connected to this board. Contact us for more information.
Sensor Electronics and Battery – Unique Features
- Electronics Board Small Thin Size:
- 2.2 X 1.5 inches.
- Less than 5mm thick.
- Electronics Operating Temperature:
- Standard operating temperature: Battery and electronics can operate up to 125C, or higher*.
- *Higher operating temperatures are available – contact us.
- Additional On-Circuit-Board Temperature Sensor – optional
- 3-Wire RTD – electronics measure wire resistance to the sensor and compensate for changes in wire resistance over temperature to maintain accuracy over a wide temperature range.
- Thin, High-Temperature Battery Option – less than 5mm thick
- Batteries rated to 125C.
- Sensor can operate with 3 batteries that are less than 5mm thick.
- ~20 minute life estimated at 120C when transmitting 9 readings every 2 seconds.
- Much longer battery life is expected at slower transmit intervals.
- ~10 day life at room temperature when transmitting every 2 seconds.
- Longer-life, larger batteries are also available.
- Fast Temperature Sampling Time Interval:
- Fastest sampling rate for 18 RTD temperature Sensors – all 18 sensors every 4 seconds.
- Data is typically data-logged with a time stamp on the sensor, then transmitted every 15 to 30 seconds.
- Sampling as slow as sensor reading per day.
- No Enclosure: For maximum “thin-ness”, the sensor is typically shipped with no enclosure. The circuit board is typically conformal coated and has a thin silicon sheet attached to its under-side. Contact us for other options.
- Data Logging: Sensor will act as a data logger, storing up to 10,000 time-stamped readings on-board, when a gateway is not in range. See details below.
Leap Wireless Sensor Transmitter Specifications
- Transmission Distance to a gateway – typically 200 feet in open air. The sensor transmitter antenna is on the circuit board.
- 2-way Communication with the sensor through the user interface:
- Name the sensor, set sensor sampling time interval, set wireless transmit time interval, over-the-air firmware updates.
- Gateways send an acknowledgement to the sensor that the data was received for high reliability.
- Sensor Data Logging – When sensors do not receive an acknowledgement from the gateway that the radio transmission was received, the Leap Sensor will store the time-stamped data on-board until the gateway connection is established.
- Reliable Industrial Over the Air Radio Communication
- Industry standard 802.15.4 with Direct Sequence Spread Spectrum (DSSS).
- Gateway “hand-shake” acknowledgements of successful transmission and sensor data logging for extra reliability.
- Over the Air Protocol – Standard and established 6LoPan and Thread.
- Data Security – AES encryption. Standard and established TLS security.
- FCC certified.
- One gateways support 250 sensors that are in-range. Additional gateways can extend the sensor coverage.
- Battery – user-replaceable 3.0C or 3.6V batteries.
Leap Wireless Sensors Gateway (Receiver) and User Interface Software
See the Leap Sensors gateway products web page and the Leap Sensors User Interface options web page for more detailed information.
Leap Sensors wirelessly transmit their data to a gateway*. This gateway can support over 250 sensors. The gateway then passes the data to the Leap user interface software. The user interface software may be hosted on the gateway (and connected to a PC with a USB cable), on the password-protected Leap Sensors Cloud web site, or an on-site server.
User interface supports: logging-in, set user rights, view sensor data, set email and text alerts (cloud version), graph sensor data, download data to excel, add or subtract sensors, update firmware, and other functions.
*Custom-ordered leap sensors are available with a direct-to-cellular option where no gateway is needed and the data is sent directly to a cloud server. Contact us for more information.
High-Value Features Unique to the Leap Wireless Sensor Product Line
These sensors are a true leap advancement in IoT industrial wireless sensing.
Typical Industrial Wireless Sensor Applications
This wireless sensor is ideal for monitoring:
- Silicon wafer processing
- Scientific experiments
- Paint and coatings curing
- Temperature profiling over a surface