Wireless Motor Monitoring Sensor for Manufacturing
Monitor the top 3 predictors of impending motor failures: Temperature, Current, and Vibration
Breakthrough wireless motor monitoring sensor continually monitors the top 3 predictors of impending machinery motor failure: motor temperature, electrical current draw, and vibration. Get text and/or email alerts BEFORE a costly line shutdown.
Avoid costly downtime: receive alerts of warning signs before failure happens.
Advanced design makes it easy to retrofit existing equipment: be up & running in 5 minutes. No wires to pull. Newly installed sensors add themselves to monitoring system.
State of the art security protocols: data is encrypted at the sensor level and stays encrypted to the final database.
Easily integrates into your current database.
Part of the new Leap Sensors® system.
Details and Specifications
- The Leap Wireless Motor Monitoring Sensor connects to 3 motors and measures the top 3 predictors of impending motor failures.
- Thermocouple temperature sensor mounts on the motor or gearbox to detect over-heating. Temperature alerts are typically set based on normal readings.
- Vibration sensor detects maximum and average vibration on 3 axis to detect upward trends or spikes in vibration. Vibration is sampled at 5 KHz on 3 axis for a few seconds in the range of 0 to 8Gs.
- Amp clamp detects increased electrical current to motors to detect over-loads and trends that can predict failures. Electrical current alerts are typically set above normal readings.
- Sensor readings transmitted every 15 minutes.
- The data is edge-processed on-board the sensor using proven methods where a change in trend is indicative of an impending failure, which then triggers a text or email alert.
- Fast and easy to install.
- Magnetic mounts for temperature and vibration sensors.
- Amp clamp is “split core” – quickly installs around a wire without disconnecting it.
Thermocouple Sensor Specifications
- Connect a K-type thermocouples using standard Omega miniature flat pin connectors.
- Standard Type K Accuracy – see accuracy details on Omega Thermocouple web site.
- Leap Sensor Thermocouples are compensated for non-linear thermocouple characteristics at cold temperatures– to ensure accurate readings at cold temperatures.
- Cold junction compensation is on the Leap Sensor circuit board.
Amp Clamp Sensor Specification
- Monitors 1 wire (one phase) of the electrical current going to a wire.
- Typically supplied with an AcuAmp ACTXXXX-10. See datasheet.
- Split core for easy installation. Clamp opens, then snaps shut around the wire.
- Configurable up to current readings from 2 to 2000 amps.
- 0-10V signal is sent to the Leap sensor node via a shielded cable.
- Amp clamp rated from -20C to 50C.
Vibration Sensor Specifications
- Mounts with the provided magnet or threaded stud.
- Connects to the Leap Transmitter with a shielded cable.
- An industrial communication protocol allows long cables (if needed).
- 3-axis g-force reading is edge-processed into RMS Acceleration, RMS Velocity, and Peak Acceleration. Any increase in these values indicate a motor is functioning differently and likely has a problem. The RMS Acceleration weights the higher frequencies. The RMS Velocity weights the lower frequencies. The Peak Acceleration will detect serious impact forces such as bearing defects and chipped gear teeth.
- G-force readings up to +/- 8 G.
- Accelerometer operating temperature: -40 to 85C.
- Accelerometer is powered by the Leap transmitter module.
- On-board storage for 174762 sets of 3-axis (x, y, z) g-force samples with 12 bits of resolution.
- Data is typically processed by a powerful on-board microprocessor using FFT algorithms. Processed vibration analysis is then sent to the radio transmitter.
- Typical Sampling and Analysis (can be adjusted to each application).
- Accelerometer is checked every 15 minutes.
- Each axis is sampled at 5 KHz. (Up to 5 KHz sampling available, if needed).
- Samples are taken for 3 seconds.
- RMS Acceleration, RMS Velocity, and Peak Acceleration are transmitted.
- Advanced Fast Fourier Transform (FFT) edge computing available
- Sensor has a powerful microprocessor and large memory to take vibration samples and process the data at the sensor.
- Custom edge computing algorithms using FFTs and other sophisticated methods are available.
- Configurable High G-force Event – Instant Wake-up and Transmit function – optional.
Wireless Sensor Node Specifications
- Long Transmission Distance to gateway: several hundred feet in an industrial environment.
- Long-life Battery: user-replaceable 3.6V battery lasts 5-10 years.
- Rugged Sensor Enclosure: Sealed all-metal enclosure with mounting flanges.
- 2-way Communication between the sensor & user interface
- Name the sensor, set sensor sampling time interval, set wireless transmit time interval, over-the-air firmware updates.
- Gateways send an acknowledgement to the sensor that the data was received for high reliability.
- Sensor Data Logging: Leap Sensors can store time-stamped data on-board until the gateway connection is re-established if sensors do not receive transmission confirmation from the gateway.
- Reliable Industrial Over the Air Radio Communication
- Industry standard 802.15.4 with Direct Sequence Spread Spectrum (DSSS).
- Gateway “hand-shake” acknowledgements of successful transmission and sensor data logging for extra reliability.
- Over the Air Protocol: standard and established 6LoPan and Thread.
- Data Security: AES encryption. Standard and established TLS security.
- FCC certified
- One gateway can support 250 sensors. Additional gateways can extend the sensor coverage.
Leap Wireless Sensors Gateway (Receiver) and User Interface Software
Leap Sensors wirelessly transmit their data to a gateway which then passes the data to the Leap user interface software. The user interface software may be hosted on the gateway (and connected to a PC with a USB cable), on the password-protected Leap Sensors Cloud web site, or an on-site server. Direct-to-cellular option where no gateway is needed and the data is sent directly to a cloud server.