Leap Sensors are specially designed to easily adapt to your specific needs. If this isn’t exactly what you need, please contact us.
Wireless Thermocouple Sensor with Two Thermocouples – Specifications
This highly versatile industrial sensor supports a huge variety of plug-in thermocouple temperature sensors.
Standard version comes with K-type thermocouples. Other types are available.
Overall Temperature Accuracy
Please note that the overall temperature accuracy is a combination of the electronics and the thermocouple that is connected to the Leap Sensor. Since the thermocouple is typically selected by the end-user, an overall accuracy of the final system cannot be stated. Below is information on the accuracy of the Leap Electronics and additional general information on the accuracy of thermocouples.
Thermocouples are popular in many industrial applications due to their wide variety and wide temperature range. They are not highly accurate and are typically used for monitoring applications and not for precision temperature measurements. For higher accuracy temperature measurements, see the Leap RTD temperature sensors.
Thermocouple Electronics Specification
- Electronics reads from -150C to 1300C*.
- Resolution is 19-bit or 0.0078125C.
- Electronics accuracy is:
- Typical: +/- 2C from -150C to 200C
- Typical: +/- 1% of full scale from 200C to 1300C.
*Overall accuracy is a combination of the electronics and the thermocouple that is used. See more information below.
Thermocouple Sensor Specifications
Standard product comes with K-type thermocouples. Other types are available.
- Connect 2 K-type thermocouples using standard miniature flat pin connectors.
- Connectors come with protective rubber boot.
- Sensors come with basic insulated thermocouples.
- Select your own thermocouple from a huge variety of options.
- Thermocouples have different temperature ratings – but different versions can operate in the range of –454 to 2,300F (–270 to 1260C).
- The Leap Sensor transmitter module (electronics, enclosure, and battery) can operate up to 85C, or 120C by special order.
- Electronics set for K thermocouple range of -150C to 100C (-238F to 2372)F.
- Standard Type K Accuracy
- Leap Sensor Thermocouples are compensated for non-linear thermocouple characteristics at cold temperatures – to ensure accurate readings at cold temperatures.
- Cold junction compensation is on the Leap Sensor circuit board.
Leap Wireless Sensor Transceiver Node Specifications
- Transmission distance to gateway: typically 1500 feet in open air. Several hundred feet in an industrial environment.
- Field replaceable off-the-shelf Tadiran TL-5930/F 3.6V battery with tethered connector – designed for high vibration industrial environments.
- Typical battery life of at least 5 to 8 years. Replaceable in less than a minute.
- Bi-color LEDs integrated into the power switch blink to provide user feedback on sensor functions.
- Rugged sensor enclosure
- IP68 enclosure rated to 120C (248F). Panel connectors and glands rated to IP68. Power switch with LEDs rated to IP66.
- Rugged polycarbonate composite enclosure. UL 94 V0 rated, flame-resistant and self-extinguishing.
- 4.4 x 3.2 x 3.4 in (113 x 80 x 90 mm), not including optional mounting feet.
- Long-range antenna inside the enclosure: Keeps the total footprint small and prevents damage to the antenna.
- Mounting options
- See all enclosure mounting options.
- Optional mounting feet may be installed horizontally or vertically.
- Enclosure may also be mounted with screws directly to surface.
- Magnetic mount option.
- Cable connection options
- Standard: Metal IP68 cable glands seal cables to the enclosure. Industrial spring terminal blocks connect the cable to sensor board.
- Optional: M8 panel connector and cable: Molded M8 cable connects M8 panel connector to sensor.
- Cable length may be shortened in the field if desired.
- More information here.
- Industrial power switch: Latching push button. IP66 rated.
- Operating temperature: Standard sensor -40C to 85C (-40F to 185F).
- High operating temperature option available: -40C to 125C* (-40F to 260F). Unique to Leap Sensors.
- 2-way communication with the sensor through the user interface:
- Name the sensor (device), set sensor sampling time interval, set wireless transmit time interval, over-the-air firmware updates.
- Gateways send an acknowledgement to the device that the data was received for high reliability.
- Sensor data logging: When sensors do not receive an acknowledgement from the gateway that the radio transmission was received, the sensor will store the time-stamped data on-board (up to 10,000 readings) until the gateway connection is established.
- Reliable industrial over-the-air radio communication
- Industry-standard 802.15.4 with Direct Sequence Spread Spectrum (DSSS).
- Gateway “handshake” acknowledgement of successful transmission and sensor data logging for extra reliability.
- Over-the-air protocol: Standard and established 6LoPan and Thread.
- Data security: “gold standard” internet security with AES encryption.
- FCC certified.
Leap Wireless Sensors Gateway (Receiver) and User Interface Software
- See the Leap Sensors gateway page and the Leap Sensors User Interface options page for more detailed information.
- Leap Sensors wirelessly transmit data to a gateway*.
- Gateway can support over 250 sensors that are in range. (Additional gateways can extend sensor coverage.)
- The gateway then passes the data to the Leap user interface software. The user interface software may be hosted on the gateway (and connected to a PC with a USB cable), on the password-protected Leap Sensors Cloud web site, or an on-site server.
- User interface supports: logging-in, set user rights, view sensor data, set email and text alerts (cloud version), graph sensor data, download data to excel, add or subtract sensors, update firmware, and other functions.
*Custom-ordered leap sensors are available with a direct-to-cellular option where no gateway is needed and the data is sent directly to a cloud server. Contact us for more information.
About Leap Sensors®
Better Design – Better Data – Better Decisions™
Based on Phase IV Engineering’s 25 years of wireless sensor experience, Leap is THE system designed from the ground up to meet the specific needs of industrial users. These sensors are a true leap advancement in Industrial IoT wireless sensing.
- Modular design makes it easy & cost-effective to adapt to your specific needs – and update easily for a “future-proof” system.
- Edge computing manages large amounts of data before transmission to software – only get information you need.
- Bank standard data security: Multi-layered Thread network security using AES-128 data encryption.
Typical Industrial Wireless Sensor Applications
This wireless sensor is ideal for monitoring:
- Bearing temperature wireless sensor
- Heater monitoring
- Motor temperature monitoring wireless sensor
- Over-heating alerts
- Industrial wireless temperature sensing
- Remote location temperature monitoring
- Temperature alarms – email alerts, text alerts