Silicon Wafer Surface – 9 High Accuracy RTD Wireless Temperature Sensor
Leap Sensors are specially designed to be customized. If this isn’t exactly what you need, please contact us.
This highly versatile industrial sensor supports 9 miniature, low-mass precision RTD temperature sensors connected to one small, thin high-temperature transmitter.
Silicon Wafer Processing Application
- Reasonable Priced: Especially for a wafer sensor that can be maintained and last a long time.
- Replaceable Battery: High-temperature rated 2032 coin cells are easily replaced – slide in and out of the 5mm high low-profile battery holders for quick battery change.
- Less than 5mm Thick: Electronics, battery, and all other components are designed to fit in a standard fab oven and other wafer processing equipment. Optional silicon sheet insulator between the wafer and electronics adds 0.75mm.
- High Temperature: Electronics and battery operate continuously up to 125C (and higher). Contact us for higher operating temperature options.
- High Temperature Sampling Rate: Each of the 9 sensors can be read every 2 seconds.
- Real-Time Data: Wireless transmitter and on-board antenna can send updates every 15 seconds – even when the wafer is in a closed oven.
- Data Logging (when needed): If the sensor loses communication with the gateway, the sensor writes the time-stamped data to memory.
- Splash-proof: Electronics do not have an enclosure, but they may be conformal coated make them splash-resistant.
- Full wafer coverage with 9 sensors: Sensors are typically placed 4 along the edge, 4 in the middle, and 1 in the center.
- Customized Sensor Placement – Let us know if you want your sensors located in different places. We will ship the wafer to you “ready to go”.
- Available on all wafer sizes. (200 mm wafer is shown in the photo). Contact us with your needs.
- 18 sensor version coming soon.
- Optional Silicone Backing: The circuit board and batteries are backed with a thin silicone sheet to reduce heat transfer into these components. This adds 0.75mm to the 5mm maximum height.
- High Accuracy RTD temperature sensors – Class A sensors for high accuracy.
- Miniature RTD Temperature Sensors – super low mass and fast response.
- Adhered to wafer with epoxy. Can be replaced, if needed.
Repairable and Replaceable Batteries for a Long Wireless Wafer Sensor Life
We want your investment in this sensor to last a long time. The batteries are easily field replaceable – within 1 minute. Replacement batteries can be ordered off the internet. If a component gets damaged, contact us for a quick repair.
9-RTD Wireless Temperature Sensor Specifications
- RTD Specification – High Accuracy, Low Mass, Fast Response
- For high accuracy, fast-response temperature measurements requiring a low-mass sensor, the Omega Class A F Series sensor is used.
- Thin film DIN Class A.
- Size: 2.3 x 2.1 x 0.9 (thick) mm.
- They can be used at temperatures between -50 and 500°C (-58 to 432°F) however, Class A accuracy is assured between -30 to 300°C (-22 to 572°F).
- 3-Wire RTD for High Accuracy: The sensor utilizes a 3-wire configuration to the RTD sensors. The electronics measure and compensate for changes in wire resistance over temperature changes.
- Long Cable Lengths to Sensors: The 3-wire RTD temperature sensor design facilitates long cable lengths to the sensors (if needed), while maintaining good temperature accuracy.
- Excellent Temperature Accuracy:
- Contact us for application-specific estimates on accuracy.
- Typical: +/- 0.4C from 25C to 120C.
- High Accuracy version: +/- 0.1C, or better (over specified temperature span) is available. Contact us for details.
- Sensors connect to main circuit board with wire that is soldered to the sensor and to the three thru-holes on the circuit board.
- Other RTDs can be connected to this board. Contact us for more information.
Sensor Electronics and Battery – Unique Features
- Electronics Board Small Thin Size:
- 2.2 X 1.5 inches.
- Less than 5mm thick.
- Electronics Operating Temperature:
- Standard operating temperature: Battery and electronics can operate up to 125C, or higher*.
- *Higher operating temperatures are available – contact us.
- Additional On-Circuit-Board Temperature Sensor – optional
- 3-Wire RTD – electronics measure wire resistance to the sensor and compensate for changes in wire resistance over temperature to maintain accuracy over a wide temperature range.
- Thin, High-Temperature Battery Option – less than 5mm thick
- Batteries rated to 125C.
- Sensor can operate with 3 batteries that are less than 5mm thick (including the battery holder).
- 4+ hour life when running continuously at 120C when sampling 9 readings every 2 seconds and transmitting every 15 seconds.
- Much longer battery life is expected at slower transmit intervals.
- 20+ hour battery life at room temperature when sampling every 2 seconds and transmitting every 15 seconds.
- Longer-life, larger batteries are also available.
- Fast Temperature Sampling Time Interval:
- Fastest sampling rate for 9 RTD temperature Sensors – all 9 sensors every 2 seconds.
- Data is typically data-logged with a time stamp on the sensor, then transmitted every 15 to 30 seconds.
- Sampling as slow as one sensor reading per day.
- No Enclosure: For maximum “thin-ness”, the sensor is typically shipped with no enclosure. The circuit board is typically conformal coated and has a thin silicon sheet attached to its underside. Contact us for other options.
- Data Logging: Sensor will act as a data logger, storing up to 10,000 time-stamped readings on-board, when a gateway is not in range. See details below.
Leap Wireless Sensor Transmitter Specifications
- Transmission Distance to a gateway – typically 200 feet in open air. The sensor transmitter antenna is on the circuit board.
- Transmit When Inside Ovens – the wafer transmitter can typically transmit through a closed wafer oven door for near-real-time temperature readings.
- 2-way Communication with the sensor through the user interface:
- Name the sensor, set sensor sampling time interval, set wireless transmit time interval, over-the-air firmware updates.
- Gateways send an acknowledgement to the sensor that the data was received for high reliability.
- Sensor Data Logging – When sensors do not receive an acknowledgement from the gateway that the radio transmission was received, the Leap Sensor will store the time-stamped data on-board until the gateway connection is established.
- Reliable Industrial Over the Air Radio Communication
- Industry standard 802.15.4 with Direct Sequence Spread Spectrum (DSSS).
- Gateway “hand-shake” acknowledgements of successful transmission and sensor data logging for extra reliability.
- Over the Air Protocol – Standard and established 6LoPan and Thread.
- Data Security – AES encryption. Standard and established TLS security.
- FCC certified.
- One gateways support 250 sensors that are in-range. Additional gateways can extend the sensor coverage.
- Battery – user-replaceable batteries – replacements available to order via on-line distributors.
Leap Wireless Sensors Gateway (Receiver) and User Interface Software
See the Leap Sensors gateway products web page and the Leap Sensors User Interface options web page for more detailed information.
Leap Sensors wirelessly transmit their data to a gateway*. This gateway can support over 250 sensors. The gateway then passes the data to the Leap user interface software. The user interface software may be hosted on the gateway (and connected to a PC with a USB cable), on the password-protected Leap Sensors Cloud web site, or an on-site server.
User interface supports: logging-in, set user rights, view sensor data, set email and text alerts (cloud version), graph sensor data, download data to excel, add or subtract sensors, update firmware, and other functions.
High-Value Features Unique to the Leap Wireless Sensor Product Line
These sensors are a true leap advancement in IoT industrial wireless sensing.
Typical Industrial Wireless Sensor Applications
This wireless sensor is ideal for monitoring:
- Silicon wafer processing
- Temperature chuck testing/verification
- Scientific experiments
- Paint and coatings curing
- Temperature profiling over a surface