Motor Monitoring Wireless Sensor – Temperature, Amp Clamp, and Vibration
Leap Sensors are specially designed to be customized. If this isn’t exactly what you need, please contact us.
Overview of Multi-Sensor Motor Monitoring Sensor
- Monitors the top 3 predictors of impending motor failures.
- Thermocouple temperature sensor mounts on the motor or gearbox to detect over-heating.
- Vibration sensor detects maximum and average vibration on 3 axis to detect upward trends or spikes in vibration.
- Amp clamp detects increased electrical current to motors to detect over-loads and trends that can predict failures.
- Fast and easy to install.
- Magnetic mounts for temperature and vibration sensors. See photos.
- The amp clamp is a “split core” – allowing it to quickly install around a wire – without disconnecting it. See photos.
- Typical Monitoring Scenario:
- Sensor wakes up every 15 minutes and takes sensor readings and transmits them.
- Temperature alerts are typically set based on normal readings.
- Electrical current alerts are typically set above normal readings.
- Vibration is sampled at 1 KHz on 3 axis for a few seconds.
- Typical analysis includes comparing average and maximum g-force in the X, Y, and Z axis to normal readings.
- Sophisticated on-board FFT “edge computing” analysis of the vibration data is also available.
Thermocouple Sensor Specifications
- Connect a K-type thermocouples using standard Omega miniature flat pin connectors. (see photos)
- Standard Type K Accuracy – see accuracy details on Omega Thermocouple web site.
- Leap Sensor Thermocouples are compensated for non-linear thermocouple characteristics at cold temperatures– to ensure accurate readings at cold temperatures.
- Cold junction compensation is on the Leap Sensor circuit board.
Amp Clamp Sensor Specification
- Monitors 1 wire (one phase) of the electrical current going to a wire.
- Typically supplied with an AcuAmp ACTXXXX-10. See datasheet.
- Split core for easy installation. Camp opens, then snaps shut around the wire.
- Configurable up to current readings from 2 to 2000 amps.
- End user is responsible for proper installation.
- 0-10V signal is sent to the Leap Sensor transmitter via a shielded cable.
- Amp clamp rated from -20C to 50C.
Vibration Sensor Specifications
- Vibration sensor can mount with the provided magnet or threaded stud.
- Vibration sensor is connected to the Leap Transmitter with a shielded cable.
- An industrial communication protocol allows long cables (if needed) between the sensor and wireless transmitter.
- 3 axis g-force reading taken.
- G-force readings up to +/- 16 G.
- Accelerometer operating temperature: -40 to 85C.
- Accelerometer is powered by the Leap transmitter module.
- On-board storage for 174762 sets of 3-axis (x, y, z) g-force samples with 12 bits of resolution.
- Data is typically processed by a powerful on-board microprocessor using FFT algorithms. Processed vibration analysis is then sent to the radio transmitter.
- Typical Sampling and Analysis (can be adjusted to each application).
- Accelerometer is checked every 15 minutes.
- Each axis is sampled at 1 KHz. (Up to 5 KHz sampling available, if needed).
- Samples are taken for 3 seconds.
- Average and maximum g-force readings are reported for each axis.
- Advanced Fast Fourier Transform (FFT) edge computing available
- Sensor has a powerful microprocessor and large memory to take vibration samples and process the data at the sensor.
- Configurable High G-force Event – Instant Wake-up and Transmit function – optional.
Leap Wireless Sensor Transmitter Specifications
- Transmission Distance to a gateway – typically 1500 feet in open air. Several hundred feet in an industrial environment.
- Battery Life – 5 to 10 years in typical applications.
- Different enclosures are available to balance battery size and battery life.
- Rugged Sensor Enclosure
- Sealed all-metal enclosure with mounting flanges. 2.44 x 1.33 x 4.73 inches
- Sensor Mounting Options
- Screw mount flanges standard.
- Magnetic mount – optional.
- High Operating Temperature – Standard sensor -40C to 85C (-40F to 185F).
- High operating temperature option available: -40C to 125C* (-40F to 260F). Unique to Leap Sensors.
- *Accelerometer is limited to 85C.
- *Amp clamp is limited to -20C to 50C.
- 2-way Communication with the sensor through the user interface:
- Name the sensor, set sensor sampling time interval, set wireless transmit time interval, over-the-air firmware updates.
- Gateways send an acknowledgement to the sensor that the data was received for high reliability.
- Sensor Data Logging – When sensors do not receive an acknowledgement from the gateway that the radio transmission was received, the Leap Sensor will store the time-stamped data on-board until the gateway connection is established.
- Reliable Industrial Over the Air Radio Communication
- Industry standard 802.15.4 with Direct Sequence Spread Spectrum (DSSS).
- Gateway “hand-shake” acknowledgements of successful transmission and sensor data logging for extra reliability.
- Over the Air Protocol – Standard and established 6LoPan and Thread.
- Data Security – AES encryption. Standard and established TLS security.
- FCC certified.
- One gateways support 250 sensors that are in-range. Additional gateways can extend the sensor coverage.
- Battery – user-replaceable 3.6V battery.
Leap Wireless Sensors Gateway (Receiver) and User Interface Software
See the Leap Sensors gateway products web page and the Leap Sensors User Interface options web page for more detailed information.
Leap Sensors wirelessly transmit their data to a gateway*. This gateway can support over 250 sensors. The gateway then passes the data to the Leap user interface software. The user interface software may be hosted on the gateway (and connected to a PC with a USB cable), on the password-protected Leap Sensors Cloud web site, or an on-site server.
User interface supports: logging-in, set user rights, view sensor data, set email and text alerts (cloud version), graph sensor data, download data to excel, add or subtract sensors, update firmware, and other functions.
*Custom-ordered leap sensors are available with a direct-to-cellular option where no gateway is needed and the data is sent directly to a cloud server. Contact us for more information.
High-Value Features Unique to the Leap Wireless Sensor Product Line
These sensors are a true leap advancement in IoT industrial wireless sensing.
Typical Industrial Wireless Sensor Applications
This wireless sensor is ideal for monitoring:
- Critical motor monitoring
- HVAC wireless sensor motor monitoring
- Blower wireless sensor motor monitoring
- Conveyor wireless sensor motor monitoring
- Grinder wireless sensor motor monitoring
- Motor predictive maintenance wireless sensor